liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists

Masters by Julie Hale

F 50x66
Aug 24, 2011

bookshelves: art, best-art-book, book-making, books, crafts, handmade-books, paper-crafting
Recommended for: crafters, book artists, artists
Read in August, 2011

[ read a longer review of Masters: Book Arts at my blog liberal sprinkles ]

This is an amazing collection of works by 40 book artists. It covers a wide variety of book forms, binding techniques, embellishment methods and materials used. Looks like anything can be art, and almost anything can be considered a book.

I certainly am not enamored of all the works presented here but I do appreciate the creativity and inventiveness of the artists. Take Margaret Couch Cogswell's "crowning glories" - books in the form of hats/headgear assembled from feather-like panes. Or Adele Outteridge's transparent book structures made of acrylic and other materials. Very unusual, strange but unique. Many of the books are more sculpture and art installation piece. I enjoyed reading the short introductions of the artists featured explaining their process and intent.

A very impressive book that challenges the conventional idea of what makes a book - and how a message can be conveyed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masters.