Mai's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

bookshelves: 4-star, library, paperback, read-2018, favorites

All right, let's get this out of the way first - is it fucked up? Yes. Definitely! But that is what makes it worth reading.

I mean, Nabokov created a pedophile that isn't completely disgusting. Like, you don't hate him; dare I say you can find yourself cheering for him at times. Of course, at some point you realize what it is you're actually reading and you're like O FUCK. But it is so well written??
You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

Now, there's a lot of French phrases. I wish I knew French - feel like I would've understood some parts of the book better. It did add to Humbert's character, though, so I'm not mad.

Speaking of understanding the book better - English is not my mother tongue and some parts of the book were just too difficult for me to read through (mainly descriptions of things, not actual stuff happening) and I had to skim over them. That's the main reason why this didn't get all five stars.

Also, I see a lot of people being mad at descriptions saying this is a love story. But it is! It is about love. A sick kind of love, a wrong, obsessive, illegal and immoral kind of love, but love nevertheless.
You know, what's so dreadful about dying is that you are completely on your own.

All in all, it's very much worth picking up, if only for the fact that it's a book with a very frowned-upon character who really doesn't seem that bad when you start reading. But he is. But you don't feel that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

June 2, 2017 – Shelved