Justin Tate's Reviews > Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read September 27, 2017 to March 31, 2018.

Stephen King is a god, but this book is a slog. I support quality father-son bonding, though, so for that I feel less guilty about wasting $20 and 20+ hours of my life on it. But please, please don't waste your time. Not unless you've read every other word by SK. It's by far his worst effort to date.

It took me about 4 months to read the first half. I realized then that if I was ever going to finish it I'd have to do the audiobook. That helped a lot. My one positive comment is that Sleeping Beauties is more interesting than rush hour traffic. The narrator did a great job adding vocal personality to otherwise lifeless characters.

So why is it such a disaster? Many reasons, but mostly because all of the characters are the same. Picture the stereotypical image of an Appalachian resident and then imagine 30 clones of that stereotype. There's your entire cast. Also, you would expect some type of brilliant social commentary with a premise like this, but no. No relevance to our world, past or present. I actually appreciated that there isn't a lot of political blah-blah-blah, but come on, there is nothing better than a thesis that men are inherently violent.

All that said, there were brief and fleeting moments of fine storytelling. In those moments I imagined Daddy King working overtime to breathe life into an arc that was clearly going downhill fast. Nevertheless, I'm sure this was the experience of a lifetime for Owen. I would give many body parts to collaborate with the King on a novel, even if it turned out to be trash. Maybe we will eventually look back on Sleeping Beauties as a historical document, the teething ring that lead to many great things from Owen. We shall see. Until then, let the historians deal with this dusty tome and read something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauties.

Finished Reading
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 1, 2017 – Shelved
September 27, 2017 – Started Reading
December 29, 2017 –
page 125
17.81% "Barely cracking a dent in this one, but it just started to get really good! Hope it stays that way"
January 10, 2018 –
page 281
40.03% "Sigh...tempted to give up on this one"
March 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Aranda I've heard a lot of not positive opinions on this book so you're not alone in being disappointed in this one.

Debbie It’s hard to maintain greatness. Look at JK Rowling. I like her recent books, but there will never be another Harry Potter. There will never be another Dark Tower, The Stand , Talisman, (insert favorite King book)..... I feel like he has lost his magic. Maybe he needed the drugs and alcohol.

Justin Tate Lol I agree Debbie, but a lot of his recent books have been great too, like the Mr Mercedes trilogy. After 50+ hits everyone is entitled to a blunder

MeaganCM I originally gave this four stars but I think I might drop my rating to three stars. There was a lot I didn't realize was wrong until I sat back and really analyzed what I read.

Matt Well put, Justin. I appreciate your review!

message 6: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Justin, thanks for the heads up! I'm all about Stephen King. I love his works. This is very disappointing. I'm sorry that you had to waste your time with this one. May your next read be better.

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan Toner I agree with. I thought the book was boring and crammed with far too many characters.

Sheri This book was a disappointment. It can't be compared to anything Stephen King has written. The style was all wrong. As I read it, I often wondered who was doing the majority of the writing, father or son? I felt as though I were reading a book by Owen because it did not have strong characters and it didn't have the "feel" of a King book. Strong characters are easily found in Stephen King books. Characters that feel like friends. Or enemies.

Sarah Mcilroy I enjoyed the story but they did draaaaag it on .. could of short lot of it.

Nicole Thanks for your review. I’m on page 570 out of 700 something wondering when will it end. Drag it out is right. Too many characters means you don’t feel connected to or care about any one characters fate, even in this end of the world type scenario. Think I’ll skim to the end as I’ve had enough.