Mark Stone's Reviews > Fool's Gold

Fool's Gold by Jon Hollins

Okay...let's take stock here. This is not your normal fantasy novel about dragons and gold and awesome protagonists with bulging muscles and the gleam of righteousness in their eyes. Take all those notions and toss them in the rubbish bin. Got it? Good.
Sure, there are bulgy muscles and epic deeds aplenty, lots of blood and gore and all the good sword and sorcery type of mayhem that would satisfy the most jaded appetite, but it's wrapped in the soft cottony cloth of complete and utter sarcasm.
More of a satire on fantasy epics, The Dragon Lord brings salty language and human foibles to the forefront of the genre. Now, I've heard some remark upon the aforementioned salty language with dismay, saying that it is perhaps too salty. Let me say this....you can never have enough salt and it is painfully obvious that those critics have never spent an evening in a country bar in the middle of the US of A.
This book, to me, seems to be the unlikely love child of Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club), Terry Pratchett, and Edgar Rice Burroughs....if they got drunk one night on absinthe while taking Oxy.
In other words, I loved it. Not for the usual fantasy crowd, I'll admit, but that's a good thing. As a writer and devotee of sarcasm, I'd love to pen something with Jon Hollins someday just to see what sort of insane bastard child we could publish.
Good stuff, Maynard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool's Gold.

Finished Reading