Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > The End of Temperance Dare

The End of Temperance Dare by Wendy     Webb

bookshelves: 2017, dnf, netgalley

DNF @ 35%

I was really looking forward to this one. It was classed as a mystery horror, doesn’t that sound just so perfect for me? Unfortunately there was too much wrong with this book for me to be interested in delving into it any further.

My first annoyance with this book was how clunky the writing was. Nothing flowed particularly well, and even though some of the descriptions were well done, it didn’t do anything to help the overall feel of the novel.

Eleanor Harper is a grown woman, yet she talks like a moody teenager.

“You shouldn’t have come here” …

“Well actually I was asked to come here, so I think that you’re wrong.”

I mean really?

Plus, can I also mention that she meets a man outside in the early hours of the morning and is then suddenly in love with him? Running around holding his hand the next day, when she should be paying her respects to a dead woman. I have never had any experience with insta-love in books, but here we are, I’ve had my first taste, and it was bitter.

I actually put this book down for over a month and thought, maybe I should pick this one up again, give it more of a chance… within the first 5 minutes of reading Eleanor used the phrase “Where did he get off?” and I deleted it from my Kindle.

Thanks to Netgalley & Lake Union Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this one in exchange for an honest review. Sorry I didn’t like it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Temperance Dare.

June 1, 2017 – Shelved
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 5, 2017 – Started Reading
June 5, 2017 –
June 5, 2017 –
26.0% "Ugh this has insta-love in it dear Christ help me. I don't want to DNF another book but this is already getting on my nerves a lot!!!"
Finished Reading