Rachel's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Jun 29, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, fiction, young-adult
Read 2 times

Looking for Alaska is a coming of age story about Miles, aka Pudge, who goes away to boarding school for the first time at age sixteen. He makes friends with his roommate, Chip Martin aka The Colonel, Takumi, and Alaska Young, a mysterious, somewhat damaged girl. Miles didn’t have any friends when he went to public school so this is a new experience for him.

The school is divided into two main cliques: the Weekenders, who are the rich kids that can afford to go home on the weekends and everyone else. The Weekenders and the regular kids play horrible pranks on each other.

Miles predictably develops a crush on Alaska. I think the friendship between Miles and Alaska will appeal to most teens. How many love songs are written about a good-hearted boy trying to save an enigmatic, damaged girl? I know when I was that age, I desperately wanted to be that girl but I was just too nerdy to pull it off. I did smoke (I don’t now), like the characters in this book do and like them, I thought it made me cool. That’s the one thing I wish was not in this book. I feel like smoking was glamourized.

Looking for Alaska was the most challenged book of 2015. Of course, I am against book banning on principle and definitely against it in the case of Looking for Alaska. Like it or not, most teens drink, swear and participate in sexual activity. John Green does not dumb down or simplify the story. It’s both funny and tragic. I highly recommend it to both teenagers and adults.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Finished Reading