Rachel's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Jun 02, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, fiction, middle-grade
Read 2 times. Last read May 25, 2017.

Wonder is the story of Auggie, a boy who was born with severe cranial-facial abnormalities. His mother decides to send him to a mainstream school for fifth grade after having homeschooled him up to that point. His father worries that he’ll be “eaten alive.” The principal of the school assigns three of the “good kids” to show him around and basically be his friends. But that task is more than some of them can handle. However, he finds true friendship with a girl named Summer, who is kind to him without having to be asked.

Wonder is told mainly from Auggie’s point of view but also includes the points of views of other people in his life, like his older sister and some of the kids at his school. It’s interesting to see that different people have different perspectives on the same situations and events. I think that’s a good lesson that you never know what is going on behind the scenes in people’s lives and that you should try and find out before you judge them. And even if you don’t find out, give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them with kindness.

My boys, who are ten and twelve years old, and I each read this book on our own and then went out lunch to discuss it, - a little mother and son book club. I was surprised at how in-depth our discussion was. This book touched them and made them think. Even though it’s a middle-grade book, I think it would also be a good selection for a teen or even adult book club.

A movie based on Wonder is coming out in November. Jacob Tremblay, the child actor who was so great in Room, plays Auggie. My boys and I are looking forward to having a mother and son date to see it.

Wonder has wonderful lessons to teach and I recommend it for kids and adults alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

Finished Reading