Izy's Reviews > Riot Street

Riot Street by Tyler  King

bookshelves: 2017, arc, contemporary, net-galley

Rating ~3.5 – 4 stars

Avery “Echo” Avalon is newly graduated journalist, now working for Riot street. Avery’s childhood had marked in a way that even after all these years she still has to deal with anxiety attacks and nightmares. She has always felt alone and has a difficult time connecting to people (which is understandable with her past). She is still trying to find who Avery really is.

Ethan Ash is award winning journalist and a author. He is the reason why Avery decides to take the job at Riot street. While on the surface Ethan may seem like cocky and arrogant journalist who would use any means to get the story, the reality is bit more complex.

This book is told from Avery’s POV, it is about struggling with addiction, life, pain, finding peace, letting go and moving on and especially about finding yourself. The book itself is unique, the characters are very complex, the story more so but it’s so worth a read!

Avery has struggled with a lot through her life and all of it alone and the transition she goes through in this book is great. She was a great heroine, she was stronger than she ever thought she was and she goes through a lot in this book but at the end she’s stronger and more importantly she’s happy with who she is. I ended up really adoring her.

Avery and Ethan share a past which doesn’t make their interactions or their attraction to each other easier to deal with. Their connection, their attraction to each other is strong and later on the love they feel for each other is even more so. Avery and Ethan’s story isn’t exactly straight forward, Avery has walls (for good reasons) while Ethan likes to hide behind something different. Their journey to their happy ending isn’t easy, it’s filled with mistakes, up’s and downs, secrets and love.

Quibbles: I wish we could have gotten Ethan’s POV but since we didn’t a bit more about him wouldn’t have hurt, because and this my other quibble was that Avery’s story evolved a lot around Ethan (it did from the start but really) especially somewhere near 60% it was a lot more about Ethan than Avery and it was just frustrating to have Ethan being so much there yet not knowing much about him? I had very difficult time with Ethan, sometimes his behaviour was understandable other times I hated what he was making Avery go through and I had really gotten to love Avery so….I also would have liked an epilogue.

Even though I’m not a fan of one protagonist’s POV in romance books, I really loved the writing in the book, it just flowed really well and made the characters stand out more.

Overall, this book ended up making me feel a lot emotions, made me love Avery and I was happy that she got her happy ending.

ARC was generously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riot Street.

April 30, 2017 – Started Reading