Olivia's Reviews > Dark Triumph

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

bookshelves: favorites, all-time-favorites, reread, owns-my-heart
Read 3 times. Last read April 25, 2020 to May 1, 2020.

[third read, April-May 2020]

As much as I adore the His Fair Assassin trilogy as a whole, Dark Triumph is my all-time favorite book, no contest. I can’t think of anything to say that I haven’t said before, but honestly, everything about this is just perfection. *chef’s kiss*

Forever shrieking about Sybella and Beast because RUTTING GOATS, MY HEART. Ten out of ten.

(Yes, I’m cursing like the characters in Courting Darkness. Leave me be.)

[second read, Dec 2018-Jan 2019]

This reread gave me ALL THE EMOTIONS. Sybella and Beast are flawed, brilliant, complex characters, and their love story is a freaking masterpiece. I loved getting more details about them as the story progresses, as it still has the murder and intrigue of Grave Mercy but also made it more personal.

The best part of rereading is picking up on details you missed the first time and finding new quotes and generally falling in love all over again.

I’m so glad [redacted] is dead.

Now I’ll leave you with this gem, before I start reading book three.

”’What?’
‘I was wondering, since I have kissed you three times now, if you might turn into a handsome prince.’
‘Alas, you are still stuck with a toad, my lady.’
‘Ah, but it turns out I am quite fond of toads.’”

[first read, July 2017]

My first book of the booktubeathon! I used this for two challenges: read a book with a person on the cover and finish a book in one day.

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH.

I mean it. I think this trilogy is becoming an obsession on the same scale as VA and BL, if that tells you anything. 😍

Everything about this was amazing. Like the first, the story was slower in pacing but still just as gripping and intense. I think I would've read this in a day even if it wasn't for booktubeathon. I was constantly intrigued and needing to know more. I don't think there was a dull moment in the entire book, because every slow scene felt vital and exciting regardless.

I loved seeing more of Sybella. In Grave Mercy she's introduced as a frenzied newcomer to the convent and, in the few times Ismae sees her afterward, keeps up that image. Here, readers find out what made her that way, find out each difficult piece of her rough past. I sympathized and simultaneously cheered her on, because she overcame everything thrown her way. Her skill as an assassin and a spy, her loyalty to her missions, her gradual self-discovery and forgiveness, her love for her sisters and eventually someone else (😏)... I loved it all. It made for a captivating story, and a much more personal one than the first.

I loved seeing Beast on a deeper level as well. He was a fun, courageous character in Grave Mercy, and here, much like Sybella, his deeper self is revealed. If there was one thing I wasn't satisfied with, it's that readers never discover his real name. At least, I don't think we do. But regardless, he's also an amazing character. He's courageous and loyal to a fault, and past his large, muscular appearance, he's honestly a teddy bear. Those are my favorite kinds of love interests. 😁

(ETA 2020: His name is Benebic. It says so in the character index in the front of the book and I can now remember it being mentioned in Grave Mercy. Past me was apparently oblivious.)

Okay so now we need to talk about the romance, because I CANNOT EVEN WITH THESE TWO. If you saw my updates, you'll know I shipped them when they were just becoming friends, so for something more to actually develop made me ECSTATIC. Ismae and Duval were great, I loved them, but SYBELLA AND BEAST. (Sybeast? Beastella?) They were honestly a perfect match; troubled past, tough exterior, and soft, loving interior. Whatever it was they were doing, be it fighting, horseback riding, bantering, strategizing, or something else, they were the BEST. They were so cute and wonderful and they're my new favorite ship. And chapter 46? SWOON! (It's not like ACOMAF. It's much cuter and more innocent, haha.)

All in all, in case you couldn't already tell, I absolutely loved this book. Annith's book (#3) will have a lot to live up to, and omg I seriously hope they have a cameo or ten. I need exactly one scene with Ismae and Duval, and then I'm okay if they live their lives off-page. And I really need #4, because that's when the story follows them again. THEY'RE MY FAVES.

I'm sure you couldn't tell. I'm really subtle. 😂

Okay, I think you get the idea. I loved this book, and everyone needs to read this trilogy if you even remotely like fantasy and/or romance. I'll be reading the third book later this week! 😍

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Triumph.

May 31, 2017 – Shelved
May 31, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2017 – Started Reading
page 37
8.89% "this is already amazing"
page 126
30.29% "... I ship them. should I? probably not. there's only an uneasy friendship. but I ship them anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (#hopelessromanticproblems)"
page 153
36.78% "this was a great pick for booktubeathon because I'm speeding through it! 😍"
page 186
page 194
46.63% "they're so cute! more details!

and please let her survive. she's too sweet to die."
page 220
52.88% "the soldiers are vile, js"
page 284
68.27% "okay I totally ship them now."
page 345
82.93% "this series is my next Vampire Academy omg"
July 24, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
page 56
13.46% "I love Sybella"
January 1, 2019 –
page 202
48.56% "I love Sybella and Beast so much"
January 1, 2019 –
page 261
62.74% "I hate the abbess with everything in me"
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
page 64
15.38% "Sybella 🥺🥺❤️❤️"
April 26, 2020 –
page 91
21.88% "Tephanie is such a sweetheart."
April 27, 2020 –
page 114
27.4% "I LOVE THEM SO MUCH"
April 27, 2020 –
page 123
29.57% "Their dynamic is just..... *chef’s kiss*"
May 1, 2020 –
page 261
62.74% "The abbess is absolutely despicable."
May 1, 2020 –
page 300
72.12% "🥺🥺🥺 I love them so much!!!!"
May 1, 2020 – Shelved as: owns-my-heart