Helen's Reviews > Wylding Hall

Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand

bookshelves: book-club, ghosts, gothic, reviewed

Following a horrible tragedy a 70's folk band decamp to a large old country house in the middle of nowhere to write their second album. Through interviews with the members of the band and their entourage who were there at the time, we are told the story around the unexplained disappearance of one of the band members.

I loved the 1970s summer setting, with the hippie folk musicians trying to write an album in an old country house. I think the author got the vibe just right, and the supernatural elements were sufficiently creepy, but not overdone.

The interview format worked well, but some of the characters voices blended into each other, I found it was hard to keep them straight. The main characters though were unique enough to be recognisable.

I read the book in two goes. The first half I found creepy and chilling. I didn't want to turn out the light when I went to bed that night! But when I came back to it the next day a lot of the atmosphere had gone. I don't know if I rushed through it too fast, or if it was because I read it in the busy canteen at work, but it just wasn't as creepy anymore. I'd recommend reading it all in one go if you can.

It's well-written, and I enjoyed reading it, it could have done with being just a bit more of a ghost story towards the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wylding Hall.

May 31, 2017 – Shelved
June 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: ghosts
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: gothic
June 26, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) Wow just from the title I was expecting an 18th century Jane Austen type novel. That will teach me to look more closely!