Jasmin's Reviews > Norse Mythology

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: owned-books, 2017

This review has been originally posted on jasmin's library.

“The Norse myths are the myths of a chilly place, with long, long winter nights and endless summer days, myths of a people who did not entirely trust or even like their gods, although they respected and feared them.”

Since I was little I loved to read everything related to mythology - mostly greek and egyptian, but norse mythology was also dearly loved. The daughter of friends of my parents taught me everything she knew - which was quite a lot - because she loved mythologies as well. So when I stumbled over Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman I couldn't do anything else than buy and read it. It consists of various short stories that weave around the norse gods and goddesses and interlace with each other.

This book is not a full all-the-way-down-review but more a little ramble and admiration for a book that gave me back a part of my past. Following some of the most famous gods (and goddesses) like Odin, Loki and Thor Norse Mythology tells some of the legends and stories from the old age with a new twist. The stories were not that long and the book is a quick and light read. I found myself flying through the pages, enjoying the myths that were told and the gods and monsters I met on my journey. I giggled like a small child when I encountered a myth I already knew from my early life and was amazed at the twists Gaiman put to them.

All in all this book was a perfect choice when I fell into a reading slump. It wasn't too heavy or too complex and so it was exactly what I needed. I discussed the book with a few people on my Instagram and found that not everyone liked it - which is totally fine! But nonetheless I am thankful that Gaiman took me back into a part of my childhood and woke my interest in mythologies once again.

I decided that the style of Gaiman is one I really enjoy and decided real fast that I want to read more by him - to compare and to see whether all his books were like this one (especially American Gods got my interest). Reading about mythology again is also the reason I finally started the Percy Jackson-series - I can't get enough from mythologies and if I could I would read everything concerning it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norse Mythology.

May 31, 2017 – Shelved
May 31, 2017 – Shelved as: owned-books
June 1, 2017 – Started Reading
June 1, 2017 –
page 138
49.11% "well, this is a whole new turn on the story!"
June 6, 2017 – Finished Reading