Ron Arden's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

M 50x66
Aug 23, 2011

Read in August, 2011

Whenever things get you down, just read a Discworld book by Terry Pratchett. This is one of his first and takes me way back to the beginnings of Granny Weatherwax.

The main story is about the 8th son of an 8th son, except the son turns out to be a daughter. An old wizard comes by and give the daughter his wizarding staff, because he assumes she's a he (it was dark and the wizard's eyes were failing a bit). But, girls aren't supposed to be wizards. They can be witches, but wizards are supposed to be men.

From there, our wizard/witch girl, Eskarina, gets taught about being a witch by Granny Weatherwax. But Esk has more abilities than she should and Granny decides she needs to be taught at Unseen University in Anhk-Morpork. The two ladies make their way to the big city and eventually get in amongst the wizards.

All of the typical Pratchett insanity and hilarity is in this one. If you are used to his more current books, you may not appreciate this as it seems a bit dated, but I found it hilarious. The showdowns in the latter half of the book between Granny and some of the wizards is great. Needless to say, all's well that ends well, in a manner of speaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.