Stacie C's Reviews > The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality

The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker

bookshelves: 2017, lfbc

This book is an introduction to asexuality as a sexual orientation. It discusses not only what asexuality is but what is isn’t and goes to great lengths to help people understand the validity of asexuality as a sexual orientation and a way for people to identify themselves. So what is asexuality? Asexuality is an orientation describing people who don’t feel sexually attracted to anyone. It's possible to be heterosexual and asexual, homosexual and asexual, queer and asexual, trans and asexual, in a romantic relationship and asexual. Have questions about any of that? Pick up this book and educate yourself.

I found this book to be extremely informative. Written by Decker who identifies as asexual and is able to rely not only on her own experiences but the available research lends an authenticity to this book that you wouldn't find from an outsider looking in. I loved her candid and straightforward writing style. Her passion for educating people on asexuality is apparent throughout the book. The separation into 6 different parts allowed Decker to focus on specific topics and reference others throughout the book as necessary. She also made sure to explain asexuality and how it relates to other sexual orientations. Decker discusses the range of those that identify as asexual and how everyones experience differs from each other. What’s most important is understanding asexuality in order to understand how people identify.

I knew next to nothing about asexuality before reading this book. I feel really well informed after reading this book, but nowhere near an expert. There are parts for everyone, even those that are non-asexual like myself that want to gain understanding. This book is really well done. I think Decker did a really amazing job with this book. But it did get repetitive at times. And there is a lot of information that you may need time to process while reading. Overall, this is a recommendable read with great insight into asexuality. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Orientation.

May 30, 2017 – Shelved