Gail Herman's Reviews > Modern Persuasion

Modern Persuasion by Sara  Marks

I'm a confirmed Janeite and a member of JASNA! This author know Jane's Persuasion very well. She used her knowledge of the original novel to create this modern rendition! A delightful book to read!

I'm not always enamored with retellings of Austen's work but this book is an exception! The author subtly included key storylines from Austen to her modern story with clever twists. It wasn't at all awkward or ridiculous. Rather, the new novel was most enjoyable and fun to read especially if one is both a Jane fan and one who likes second chances.

The story came together nicely and has a satisfying conclusion.

My only question for Sara is why she chose the name, Emma, for the protagonist? I understand why she didn't name her Anne Elliott. However, since Emma is the main character and title of another Austen novel, it would seem that another name could have been chosen for this character.

Thanks for writing this book! I look forward to reading your next novel!

Gail H.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modern Persuasion.

May 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 30, 2017 – Shelved
May 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Sara Marks Yes, I have to change Emma's name when I modernize that novel. I picked Emma because part of the story originated with the idea of hearing Fredrick saying her name. Anne just didn't sound right to me, but the "ah' sound at the end of Emma worked so much better. Also, there is an "Anne" in another novel and she is a main character. I can't stand re-using names for major characters. Even Mary is going to change in my modernization of Pride & Prejudice.

Gail Herman Thanks for your response, Sara. BTW, your cousin, Melissa, recommended your novel to me!