Laurie's Reviews > Two Down, Bun to Go

Two Down, Bun to Go by H.Y. Hanna

May 30, 2017

Professor Quentin Barrow is found dead, stabbed to death with an Egyptian Dagger. Gemma's former Oxford chum and still good friend, Seth Browning, is charged with the murder. Seth was seen arguing with professor Barrow before the body was discovered. A staunch advocate for the homeless and other such causes, Seth was getting pushback from the professor regarding a piece of college donated property that would have benefited the homeless. Barrow's pompous, elitist attitude disgusted Seth, and his repulsion for the man was evident. Gemma knows her friend could not have committed the murder, although she must admit his current odd, uncharacteristic and mysterious behavior is quite alarming. But how can she prove his innocence when there is so much circumstantial evidence pointing to Seth? With the help of handsome CID Detective and former boyfriend, Devlin O'Connor, contending beau, Lincoln Green, and the meddlesome but lovable Old Biddies, Gemma uncovers a slew of others who might have killed the unpopular professor. The question is, which one of them actually did?

I don't know how H.Y. Hanna manages it, but each successive book in her Oxford Tearoom Mystery series is better than the last. They rival other renowned and beloved writers of British mysteries hands down. Her characters' magnetic personalities captivate; from the endearing to the villainous, they're all equally entertaining. The way in which she describes her mother's witty charms and hapless adventures, the antics of the Old Biddies, and little Muesli the cat, never fails to elicit chuckles. The plot moves along effortlessly as the reader is immersed in English life and subtly educated about the peculiarities and uniqueness of the University of Oxford—a real treat and added bonus.

I am thoroughly impressed by this cozy mystery series. It is one of my absolute favorites. I laugh, I ponder, I gasp, and I smile each time I read a book in this series. They are NEVER dull, and H.Y. Hannah's skill is getting progressively keener with each new installment.

Read it, you'll LOVE it. And if you want an even greater experience, do yourself a favor and listen to the audio version. The narrator does a stupendous job of bringing the characters to life. Very, very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Down, Bun to Go.

May 12, 2017 – Started Reading