Katy's Reviews > Vengeance by AJ Scudiere

Vengeance by AJ Scudiere by A.J. Scudiere

Aug 23, 2011

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: JKS Communications
Recommended for: fans of thrillers/suspense
Read 2 times

Please note: Originally read 9/14-15/2011; I am re-reading the book before I read the 2nd book in the series, Retribution. I received the original file from JKS Communications in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Book information: Genre: Suspense
Reading Age: Adult
Trigger Warnings: torture, murder, rape (not on page, historical), suicide (historical)
Animals: Several guard dogs are killed; deer is killed for food

My Thoughts and synopsis: Vengeance is exactly my kind of story. That is probably the most important thing I can say about it – it is a thriller, very well-written and filled with well-defined characters that are unique and interesting. Essentially the plot revolves around two people who have lived through terrible things and are, as a result, out for vengeance. Thus the catchy title! Each of them has been after people of the same general ilk, removing the scum from society – but they’ve started running across one another and duplicating their efforts. When an attempt to divide and conquer goes awry, they decide to join forces. We also spend some time with an FBI agent who is trying to track them down – while he is sympathetic to their cause and doesn’t mourn the people they’ve taken out, he feels compelled to track them down anyway, due to his need for answers.

Added Thoughts from May 2014 Re-Read: The nice thing about re-reading books is you catch things you might have missed the first time around. In my case, I first read an uncorrected proof/ARC, so I couldn't really comment on editing issues anyway. This copy I'm reading though is the final edition, one which I picked up on Amazon during a sale. I have noticed that the spelling used is inconsistent. It's running about half and half between the correct duffel (bag) and incorrect duffle (which is a type of heavy coat). The correct discreet is used a couple of times, but more often the incorrect form discrete (meaning singular) is used. T-shirt is all over the place, and always incorrect, as tee shirt, tee-shirt, t-shirt... When discussing clothing, it's T-shirt, V-neck, that sort of thing: capitalized. A lot of these wouldn't be noticed by anyone but pedants like me, but... they are there.

Recommendations: This was the 2nd book I read by Scudiere and I continue to be impressed. She has a great style and paces her story well. I truly enjoyed reading this book and look forward to the next one. You should definitely pick this book up if you are a fan of thrillers and suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance by AJ Scudiere.

Finished Reading
August 23, 2011 – Shelved
August 23, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
September 14, 2011 –
page 1
"have .pdf file, only 361 pages"
September 14, 2011 –
September 15, 2011 –
September 15, 2011 –
May 12, 2014 – Started Reading
May 12, 2014 –
1.0% "@ajscudiere #Rereading before I start the 2nd book, RETRIBUTION. #thriller #favorites"
May 14, 2014 –
78.0% "@ajscudiere #rereading \n I'm noticing things in this 2nd read through. Like the correct spelling of duffel (bag) is used about half the time, and the other have the incorrect duffle is used. Same with discrete/discreet and tee shirt/t-shirt (which still isn't correct as it should be T-shirt). I'll be adding triggers, too, to the review. Still enjoying the book immensely like I did the first time!"
May 14, 2014 – Finished Reading