Khurram's Reviews > Black Widow: Forever Red

Black Widow by Margaret Stohl

liked it
Read 2 times

I did really want to like this book, but it a bit too slow for me. I like the characters, this is more the marvel comic book version of the Black Widow as opposed to the warmer more flirtatious version played by Scarlet in the movies (however I am sure she would turn on the charm when it is needed). This is the part of the book I like, but my main problem with the book is it is too slow. There is almost nothing in the book you will not see coming a few chapters before. The book is written from 3 perspectives, Natasha's, Ave's, and Alex's. The are also a few guest stars and honorable mentions. The thing that really does not work for me is, transcripts of the deposition at the end/beginning of every chapter. I can see this working in a movie setting as a cut scene, but it did not work for me in the book format, also in some cases I though it gave too much of the game. To me this is origin story.

The Red Room, now defunct, was where a young girl Natasha Romanoff was trained/tortured into the super spy and now Averger the Black Widow. Still bearing scars and trauma, The Widow is sent to "take care of" her one time mentor and head of the Red Room program, Ivan the Strange. However Ivan is not done and still has a few cards to play including a long term plan for Natasha and the world. For someone who has always know hardship and betrayal, this give Widow something she has not had in a long time. Hope.

There are parts of this book that I though were very good, but it is just too slow for me and like I said a bit obvious what is going to happen. It is a bit overly ambitious in the plot as well it reminds me of the 80s villains for spy movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Widow.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
January 3, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
May 30, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Brown Bummer. I was super curious about this. She's such a great character, I would think she could translate into a GREAT spy-book.

Khurram Worth a look but, I don't think it lived up to it's potential