Tamara's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

bookshelves: ebook-kindle, 2011, ya-dysopia

** spoiler alert ** This book was a easy read and the drama continues…a very good follow up to The Hunger Games. I jumped right into reading this book following The Hunger Games. Now, although I found this book intense and well written, I do feel that The Hunger Games was a slightly stronger book. I can see that following such an awesome book must have been difficult, but Ms.Collins had success. I did not read the summary or any reviews beforehand, so I had no clue what to expect. I would have never guessed the Peeta and Katniss would be tributes again. I honestly thought that as Victors of the previous year, they would be mentors at the next games and somehow be a part of the uprising. Actually, they end up being a part of the uprising but not in the manner which I expected.

Katniss makes some hard decisions in this book, one of which is to save Peeta and see that he makes it out of the games. It becomes evident that Haymitch acquires both Katniss and Peeta some additional allies they were unaware they had until the game gets underway. It’s clear that Haymich has his own game plan to save Peeta and/or Katniss.

Amazing cliff hanger at the end of this book, it actually was a little shocking. And not in a good way. I found myself speaking out loud a few times in the last 20 pages or so. “What?!”, “OMG”, “Wow, that’s terrible!”…among other statements. To find out that her Haymich has been sort of “faking” it the whole time and actually had his own agenda…jeez, how awful for Katniss to discover this. She will have a difficult time learning who to trust. I’m sure the next book will be just as dramatic. I am hoping for a satisfied ending to this trilogy. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I can’t wait to read Mockingjay, actually I think I’ll start on that ASAP.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.