Jade Wright's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Jun 08, 2017

it was ok

This is a book targeted more towards a younger reader. Slammed wasn't as mature as Coho's other books and it didn't pack a punch like her other novels do either... not for me, anyway. The writing wasn't as good as the 10 other books I have read from the same author.

This is a story about Layken who moves to a new town from Texas after losing her father. Her new neighbor is a slightly older guy who lost his parents and now looks after his little brother. The two have an instant connection and go on a date only to discover a while later that he is in fact, her teacher. Their relationship needs to come to an abrupt halt before Will loses his job and Layken's reputation is ruined.

The story has this element of 'poetry' (if you can call it that...) known as 'Slamming....'
I was actually embarrassed by it - probably more-so because I listened to this book on audio and the dramatic way the narrator read the slams out were just..... atrocious.

I wanted to love it- in general I adore everything written by Colleen Hoover.... but this one just wasn't for me. I found our MC, Layken, so immature, bratty and incredibly selfish. I found the love interest, Will, to be TOO mature for a 21 year old regardless of his hardships. What irritated me was the contrast between immature and mature.... and don't even get me started on the insta-love. Arrrrrrgh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

May 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 30, 2017 – Shelved
June 2, 2017 –
page 100
28.25% "Insta-love to the max.... and the female narrator has such a high pitched squeaky voice :( kinda feeling like this particular COHO book might be meant for a younger audience... lets see"
June 8, 2017 – Finished Reading