Michael David Cobb's Reviews > Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

Deep Thinking by Garry Kasparov

1917795
Jun 30, 2017

liked it

I've recently started following Kasparov's Twitter feed. I like his style. But this book is a whole lot more about chess than it is about machine intelligence. Which is to say that its documentation about the machine intelligence applied to chess is in and of itself a very interesting and tightly written memoir that names names and gives a comprehensive exploding diagram of its history. However as a computer guy, I found it lacks a lot of the context I would have liked to have about machine intelligence in general. Which is basically saying Kasparov knows his domain but I think I over-estimated how much he has a general theory about thinking and thinking machines. Nevertheless, this is a book that shouldn't be missed as it covers its bases very well as a history of the evolution of chess play since Bobby Fisher.

There are some excellent examples that illuminate the stresses and strains of chess play on grand masters and their teams (teams? who knew?). And some good debunking about the conventional wisdom about the general intelligence represented by chess mastery. Definitely something for the shelves, but not quite Stephen Berlin Johnson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Thinking.

May 29, 2017 – Started Reading