Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: high-fantasy

Ok so I DID like this, but wow did it drag in the middle. For a long time the only POV I really cared about was Shallan (because how awesome is it to see a female scholar get such a huge role in an epic fantasy). The other POVs were also fascinating, buuuuut I definitely got to the point where I never wanted to see the word "bridge "again.

I think I went into this expecting it to be my favorite Brandon Sanderson book because so many people have told me it's the best, so maybe I built it up too much. Right now Warbreaker and the Mistborn trilogy are still my favorite... but I did like this more than Elantris! I just love how MUCH DETAIL goes into the worldbuilding in each book and all of the political theory, philosophy, etc.

So basically -- I did enjoy this, but it got a bit too drawn out in parts for me. I'm not sure I'm going to rush to read the next book, but the ending here set it up to be pretty great!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sarah I struggled through the middle of this one too because it's SO DENSE, but I will say it was a lot easier to get into book 2 because the world and the characters have been established already. It's a lot less world-building and a lot more plot. Also, I feel like the second book had a lot more Shallan--which is always a good thing.

message 2: by MA (new) - rated it 5 stars

MA The beginning/middle is a struggle, but if you enjoyed the end bits I'd highly recommend Words of Radiance, which is a 5 star book from end to end. xx

Anya I felt the same way when I read it , but I have to say the second book grew on me more. My favourite pov was also Shallan ❤ but I have come to appropriate the other povs as well.

Cait • A Page with a View MA wrote: "The beginning/middle is a struggle, but if you enjoyed the end bits I'd highly recommend Words of Radiance, which is a 5 star book from end to end. xx"

Sarah ⚡ wrote: "I struggled through the middle of this one too because it's SO DENSE, but I will say it was a lot easier to get into book 2 because the world and the characters have been established already. It's ..."

that's so good to know, thanks!!