Mel Bradley's Reviews > Growing His Dream

Growing His Dream by Andrew  Grey

This is the second book in the Planting Dreams series, but it can absolutely be read as a stand alone. The story begins in dramatic fashion – we meet Lachlan as he’s walking in the rain, downtrodden and definitely out of options, when he falls into a ditch while trying to reach the closest farm to get himself out of the weather. As luck would have it, he found the right house – Foster and Javi’s safe-haven farm. After spending the night warm with food in his belly, his tough life gets even brighter when he makes a connection with Abe – a farmhand. From there, this story unravels – and Lachlan finally gets the chance at life that he deserves, and at the same time, helps Abe live his best life too.

So, one thing to mention about this book right off the bat. Lach is YOUNG, as in last year in high-school young. That is usually a big NO for me, but I am an Andrew Grey fan, so I stuck in there. I can see why it was necessary for the plot, but just… no thank you. His age helps shape the tragedy he’s suffered to date and his naivete, but it does make it a bit awkward, in my opinion. That being said, it was handled decently by Abe.

In typical Grey fashion, the characters were well-developed and deep – lots of nuances and differences between the characters, which drives this book. There aren’t many plot twists and turns, instead, it’s focused on the building relationship and inner-struggles both characters have to come to terms with to come together. While Lach was the central focus of the story, Abe had a lot of baggage to deal with as well – although it was revealed more slowly and later in the book… until all of a sudden things seemed to turn out ok. That part felt rushed and unrealistic, but it was nice closure.

This book is a good read for anyone who loves Grey’s books, enjoys a younger main character pairing; likes character development central to the story; and seeing families coming together to overcome circumstances.

Review Copy of Growing His Dream provided by Dreamspinner Press for an honest review.
Reviewed by Mel from Alpha Book Club
descriptiondescription
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing His Dream.

Finished Reading