Peter's Reviews > Black Sun Rising

Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman

M 50x66
Aug 22, 2011

bookshelves: sci-fi, fantasy

This book was amazing, simply put. Compelling characters, a wonderful (if a bit hard to follow) plot, and absolutely stunning writing made this fantastic. Each of the characters is clearly defined, and Friedman fills up all the metaphorical space that they occupy; non-too-detailed descriptions somehow say more than pages and pages of characterization. I felt that I knew each character, and that the perils they faced; their inner challenges were reflections of my own in an often darker light. Each character was defined in very gray areas--no black and white at all, which was great. The plot was tough to follow, but it pitted each of the characters against each other in trying situations, and somehow, brilliantly, each time, they are forced to acknowledge each others' respective power. All that bottled hate was compressed into situations where they needed the others' help, and it was amazing to watch all the characters ricochet and interact with the others. And the writing. Wow. If I had words to describe it, I would be as good a writer as her. Metaphors, similes, a wonderful vocabulary, and a feel for the real detail of the images described were all expertly balanced to create words that flowed so easily, I often found myself rereading parts just to soak in the words. (She sometimes will use the same word over and over again in a chapter). But of course, a lot of the story is very repetitive; just seeing how the characters will react when confined together. But to me, that was part of the greatness of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Sun Rising.