Siv's Reviews > Siracusa

Siracusa by Delia Ephron

May 27, 2017

Four adults and a 10-year-old girl vacation together in Italy. Bound by marriage and parenthood and the past, they don't share much love for one another. Told by each adult in turn, the story reveals deep rifts, dysfunction, pain, evil.

Ephron gives full-bodied life to her characters and uses their different voices to subtly nuance each conversation, each situation. I think I know these people, but I don't like any of them. I can imagine them in my social circles, even imagine shared vacations, and I never want to see them again. Siracusa itself--foreign, beautiful, run-down, winding-lose-your-way streets--works as a metaphor for the twisted and twisting relationships. The story feels like the careful steps of a woman in heels walking on ancient cobblestone: slow, unbalanced, tense, lovely, painful.

"Marriage. With whom do you want to take the journey?...Do you want to take it with someone who knows you, even intuits your secrets, or from whom you can remain hidden By that last standard, which choice did I make? I'm still unsure. And why do most of us want marriage? Crave it for status or for stability that is an illusion. Marriage can't protect you from heartbreak or the random cruelties and unfairnesses life deals out. It's as if we're chicks pecking our way out of our shells, growing into big birds splendid with feathers, and then piece by piece, we put the shells back together, reencasing ourselves, leaving perhaps an eyehold, minimal exposure. Having pecked our way out to live, we work our way back to survive. Deluded, of course. Shells crack easily." (81)

"...suppose you see the corner of a building at sunset and one side is beige and the other flamingo pink when both are in fact the same drab red brick? And a second later the vision is gone because the earth has moved infinitesimally. Was what you saw reality? Is there always more than one?" (189)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siracusa.

Started Reading