Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Paradox Bound

Paradox Bound by Peter Clines

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own-on-kindle, netgalley-edition, read-sci-fi

I'm a sucker for time-travel. I was a sucker for Peter Clines's last effort, which did interdimensional portaling right, and when I saw he had a time travel book? Alrighty, cool, I'm on board.

The end result is just okay.

As a child, Eli meets a strange woman. She reappears a couple more times, the final time is when he heads off to some time-traveling adventures with what can best be described as American time-traveling hobos seeking the literal American Dream. The premise brings us around to some weird wheeling and dealing, some interesting characters, and a conceit in and of itself that is really strange out of context but works in the story.

The big problem, though, is that it's just very difficult to care about what happens. The book gets very bogged down in its own premise, and ultimately took me out of the story more than I hoped it would. The great spots - and there are plenty of them - are too often overshadowed by the problem ones, and that's what keeps a good book from being great.

Overall? A fine story, but not something that needs to be at the top of your list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradox Bound.

May 26, 2017 – Started Reading
May 27, 2017 – Shelved
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own-on-kindle
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-edition
June 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 18, 2017 – Shelved as: read-sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Benjamin (new) - added it

Benjamin Jeff: The first line of your review caught my attention. While I haven’t read Paradox Bound (yet) I too am a huge fan of time travel stories. What have you read that you would recommend?? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and direction!

Jeff Raymond Benjamin wrote: "Jeff: The first line of your review caught my attention. While I haven’t read Paradox Bound (yet) I too am a huge fan of time travel stories. What have you read that you would recommend?? Thanks in..."

My go to is The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman, for sure. I'm really into Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis, and Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card doesn't get enough credit IMO.