Sarah's Reviews > Beyond the Mountain

Beyond the Mountain by Katelyn Buxton

bookshelves: 2017-reads, homeschool-author

Age Appropriate For: 12 and up for mild violence and mild romantic references
Best for Ages: 12 - 18

I enjoyed the first book in this series. I picked up a copy on sale after I finished Branwen’s Quest and I am glad I did.It was a light fantasy with even fewer strange creatures and such than in the last story.

The four heroes from the last book are together again, and once again they win the Tournament of Warriors. Quickly they get caught up in a quest to save a kidnapped child. Their interactions were so much fun. It was like visiting old friends. Buxton is talented at weaving memorable characters, each unique.

Some of the settings in this story are familiar while others (like an island castle) are new and interesting. Visualizing everything from the descriptions given was easy. It was perfect for firing the imagination. I could easily see this being read aloud to children.

There wasn’t any faith element, but there were good morals. There were some injuries, blood, and pain, but it wasn’t described in great detail. There were mentions of Branwen’s unhappiness about the man her father wants her to marry and a couple other mentions of romantic interests of other characters, but they were brief, and I don’t think it will bother any readers.

I recommend this story for youth and young adults who enjoy light fantasy and adventure stories

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Mountain.

May 27, 2017 – Shelved
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2017 – Started Reading
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: homeschool-author
September 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Buxton Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Sarah!!