Anjana's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

It just keeps on getting better.

I read Hallowed last night and I love-love-LOVED it!

For those of you who've read Unearthly, as you can remember, Clara, due to recurring visions of Christian stuck in the middle of a forest caught on fire, believes that her purpose as an angel (okay, part-angel) is to save him. However, somewhere along the story, she falls in love with Tucker, which changed the game.

Hallowed picks up right where Unearthly ended.

This book takes us deeper into the story, tells us more about the Angels, Black Wings, Clara's mom etc. Oh, and we get a hell lot more of Christian (YAY) ! I felt that Hallowed focused more on Clara's experiences and her doubts, mostly ones that any teenage girl would go through, with some angel stuff added to it.

Also, Clara is going through some changes. Her visions didn't work out the way she thought they would and now she's feeling seriously confused/conflicted. Right now, she's got no idea what her purpose as an angel on earth is.

There's a love triangle, obviously.

“Before I moved here, I never got the whole love-triangle thing. You know, in movies or romance novels or whatnot, where there’s one chick that all the guys are drooling over, even though you can’t see anything particularly special about her. But oh, no, they both must have her. And she’s like, oh dear, however will I choose? William is so sensitive, he understands me, he swept me off my feet, oh misery, blubber, blubber, but how can I go on living without Rafe and his devil-may-care ways and his dark and only-a-little-abusive love? Upchuck.”

Tucker vs. Christian.
I adore both of them and Cynthia Hand has done a great job with this part of the storyline. God, I'm in love with too many fictional guys.

We watch Clara go on an emotional roller-coaster and at the end of it, she comes out stronger than ever!
I'll also admit that the paranormal stuff in this book, more specifically the angel stuff, isn't so great. In fact, I'd even say that it's a little cliched but I guess I'm already too attached to the characters & I can ignore that part.

If you need something extraordinary, this isn't it. But it IS a really good paranormal/YA book!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

Quotes Anjana Liked

Cynthia Hand
“I'll never forget the way he tastes. It's not anything I can describe, a little sweet and a whole lot of spice, and it feels, in that moment, absolutely right.”

Cynthia Hand
“Our purpose on this earth is not one single event, an accomplishment we can check off a list. There is no test. No passing or failing. There's only us, each moment shaping who we are, into what we will become.”
Cynthia Hand, Hallowed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews Could you by chance loan me your copy to read... I just finished book one and so want to read more!-- Jes

Anjana Lissa wrote: "Could you by chance loan me your copy to read... I just finished book one and so want to read more!-- Jes"

Hey,
I'd love to but I have only the kindle copy. Also I live in India so shipping to the US works out insanely expensive for me. Why don't you try your local library?

Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews Anjana wrote: " Lissa wrote: "Could you by chance loan me your copy to read... I just finished book one and so want to read more!-- Jes"

Hey,
I'd love to but I have only the kindle copy. Also I live in India so ..."

I have a kindle as well. But that is okay. I didn't know that that I could only loan from us accounts. Thanks anyway. My daughter has it on hold at our local libray.

Anjana Lissa wrote: "Anjana wrote: " Lissa wrote: "Could you by chance loan me your copy to read... I just finished book one and so want to read more!-- Jes"

Hey,
I'd love to but I have only the kindle copy. Also I li..."

Okay, hope you like it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.