Imjussayin's Reviews > A Question of Inheritance

A Question of Inheritance by Elizabeth Edmondson

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-classic, series

A Question of Inheritance: A Very English Mystery 2
Reading in chronological order is recommended.

In A Nutshell: A classic murder mystery, perfectly written.

The Plot: Oliver an art dealer and a guest at Selchester Castle is found dead. Murdered. Does the death have anything to do with Hugo's rogue Cold War agents or is his death a case of mistaken identity?

The Protagonist: Hugo Hawksworth is the stiff upper lip Brit. Man of mystery, secret agent. Hugo was wounded during the war but is not prepared to give up active military service to be deskbound. There is a romance brewing for him, but as with the English, it is very cool.

The story takes place in the romantic post World War II era in the idyllic English village of Selchester.

There is so much happening in this book. The new Earl has arrived from America. His two teenage daughters are not keen on being British. There is a strained relationship between Georgia and one of the girls, Georgia resents their presence. Lady Sonia, the Earl's half sister, also has issues with their arrival and being disinherited. There are attempts on the Earl's life, and a dead body is found. There are lots also lots of secrets.

All the supporting cast are impressive. Each is adding important little details to the whole. My favourites are Georgia, Hugo's livewire 13-year-old sister, her Uncle Leo the scientist and priest and the housekeeper.

A classic murder mystery, written perfectly. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.

Connect with me on Twitter
Follow my blog on Bloglovin’

Book Rating

Sexual Content: U
Language: U
Violent: U
Would I read the next one or reread ?: Yes

My rating system (* = star)
0* Could not finish this book (waste of time)
1* Finished the book but didn't like it.
2* Finished the book it was okay.
3* A good read worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Question of Inheritance.

May 20, 2017 – Started Reading