Ari 's Reviews > Mister Hockey

Mister Hockey by Lia Riley

Jul 13, 2017

liked it

*I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

It Happened on Love Street was the first book I read by Lia Riley and although I didn't end up loving it, I enjoyed it enough to want to check more books written by her. I went into Mister Hockey totally blind and hoped that I would at least enjoy it a little more than my previous Riley read.

Breezy Angel spends most of her time reading about life instead of living it. She's always found solace between the pages of a book and enjoys spending her days as a children's librarian. One day, Breezy finds herself in a predicament after her guest for a summer reading event is a no show. In walks Jed West, captain of the Denver Hellions and the leading man in all of Breezy's fantasies. He manages to swoop in and save the day and Jed soon finds himself smitten with the sweet and quirky librarian. But there's only one problem: Jed doesn't date fans. So how's this fangirl expected to turn her fantasies into a reality?

Mister Hockey is an adorably sweet sports romance and while I didn't end up loving this book, I do feel like it was a good start to a new series. The plot itself was just not developed enough for me. I wanted certain issues to be more fleshed out, like Breezy's relationship with her mother and Jed's relationship with his brother. Riley just touched upon these issues here and there but I wanted more of a backstory. I also felt like the conflict between our couple was just a little bit too simple. I'm all for simplicity but sometimes too much simple can be a bore.

I am so in love with these characters! They made this book for me and I enjoyed being inside their heads. I screamed when I realized that the heroine was a librarian! Breezy is a total bookworm and a girl after my own heart. I really want to read more romances with librarian heroines after reading Mister Hockey. Jed kind of shocked me a little because he was a sweetheart. He's down to earth and doesn't let fame get to his head. He doesn't have an ego it was refreshing change from the typical alpha-male types I usually read about in sports romances. I enjoyed seeing these two fall in love, even though the ending was a bit over the top. I'm so ready for the sequel because I need to know what the deal is between our next potential couple. Hopefully that book will just as charming and a lot more satisfying than Mister Hockey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Hockey.

May 25, 2017 – Shelved