C.'s Reviews > Un, Deux, Winnie A Le Ventre Creux

Un, Deux, Winnie A Le Ventre Creux by A.A. Milne

May 24, 2017

liked it

This sweet baby book with its happy cover joins Goodreads' database courtesy of me! I love these bouncing, alliterating, adorable little board book pages. Even being brief, they bring a smile and create a nice moment of reading time for children and parents. Children learn to count in rhyme with cute sheep, while gorgeous illustrations describe how Winnie-The-Pooh is eager for honey. A handy asset is that I like to read in my other languages from time to time. When one does not use them often, even a baby's book like this familiarizes us with words we might not have recalled or learned. Expanding a second language's vocabulary is a lifelong quest, no matter if we master it proficiently.

I could not find "Un, Deux, Winnie A Le Ventre Creux" in English. Our dual-language country is proud our native black bear was named "Winnipeg", moved to England with WWI veterinarian, Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, and directly inspired Alan Milne's whole Winnie-The-Pooh idea. It is nice if books are published straight into other languages for the enjoyment other cultures, such as our Francophones. The title would translate as: "One, Two, Winnie Is Hungry". We don't get a crunchy rhyme with "two" in English. Literally it reads: "One, Two, Winnie Has An Empty Stomach".

When pondering the origins and the meaning of a Father creating successful storybooks using his son and real teddy bears, I am always moved by the love this demonstrates. Too bad Christopher Robin allowed this to be marred by teasing in elementary school. He turned far away, to mathematics. When he married a first cousin, it was awful to read that his Mother disowned him. However the couple retired as booksellers, where fans surely gave him a lift. His real teddies can be visited at a New York library!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Un, Deux, Winnie A Le Ventre Creux.

May 24, 2017 – Started Reading