Debbie Petersen's Reviews > The History of Love

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Debbie by: Stacy S
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read in May, 2006

Heartbreaking, beautiful, poignant...I actually put off writing my review of this book for awhile because on the rare occasion a story is so well-written and engaging, it is nearly impossible for me not to gush about it. After finishing, I immediately turned back to the first page and read the entire book again, because I simply could not bear to move on to another book. I thought of the characters for a long time after.

The following is one of my favorite quotes from the book:

WHENEVER I WENT OUT TO PLAY, MY MOTHER WANTED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WAS GOING TO BE

When I'd come in, she'd call me into her bedroom,take me in her arms and cover me with kisses. She'd stroke my hair and say "I love you so much" and when I sneezed she'd say, "Bless you, you know how much I love you, don't you?" and when I got up for a tissue she'd say, "Let me get it for you, I love you so much," and when I looked for a pen to do my homework she'd say, "Use mine, anything for you," and when I had an itch on my leg she'd say "Is this the spot, let me hug you," and when I said I was going up to my room she'd call after me, "What can I do for you, I love you so much" and I always wanted to say, but never said: Love me less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.