Emily's Reviews > Einstein and the Rabbi: Searching for the Soul

Einstein and the Rabbi by Naomi Levy

bookshelves: paperback, non-fiction
Recommended to Emily by: Goodreads (giveaway)

This book started out a little too self-helpy and a bit mystical for my tastes, repeatedly telling me to pay attention to my soul and its guidance. But I'm glad I stuck with it. There are definitely layers of religion in this book regarding the soul and other things that the non-religious might not relate too, but I was able to take some psychological insights and good advice from the text. By sharing anecdotes and stories from her, her family's, and her friend's lives, the author makes her points in relatable ways. Her advice is good for religious and non-religious alike: Take time to relax, to meditate (whatever that may mean to you), to get in tune with your soul or god or the universe or you friends and family, to appreciate the days and moments, and to look ahead but not too far ahead.

By far my favorite parts of the book, though, were the parts about Rabbi Marcus. He was the man who wrote the letter to Einstein that prompted the oft-quoted response that set the author on her path. He was a remarkable person (one of so many), who for a time looked after a group of boys found in a Nazi concentration camp. In interludes that are both heartbreaking and uplifting, the author shares the history and stories of these boys, some of whom she was able to interview, and one of whom was Elie Wiesel.

(Thank you Flatiron and Goodreads for the advance copy of this book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein and the Rabbi.

May 24, 2017 – Shelved