Nicole Laverdure's Reviews > A Scarlet Woman

A Scarlet Woman by Lorna Peel

* Reviewed for Books & Benches

A powerful Irish love story!

The moment I saw the cover of Lorna Peel's novel, A SCARLET WOMAN, I knew I had to read it. Ms. Peel is a new-to-me author and she didn't disappoint with this fabulous tale set in Ireland. She nicely blended her characters and Irish history together to create a captivating love story. I really enjoyed this introduction to the Fitzgeralds of Dublin series; what a beautiful surprise! I simply could not put it down and I will surely watch for her next novel.

Set in Dublin, Ireland in 1880, A SCARLET WOMAN tells the heart warming and touching story of Dr. Will Fitzgerald and Isobel Stevens, two beautiful souls trying to escape a difficult journey of ups and downs. Will left his father's medical practice to offer his help in the Liberties, a poverty-stricken area of Dublin. Isobel is a sweet young woman abused by the men in the past and who had to work in a brothel if she wanted to survive. Then one day, Will, the doctor, and Isobel, a scarlet woman, meet and their lives will forever change for the best. Upon Will's advice, Isobel finds work as a parlour maid where she is happier, but still very much afraid of getting hurt again. Still, they correspond by letters and their new friendship evolves to a loving and caring relationship. However, a series of dramatic events will occur and disrupt their lives. Can their fragile love survive? Is it strong enough to give them a second chance? Will and Isobel are so beautiful together that I could not help myself from loving them and wishing them all the happiness in the world. Yes, I'm a romantic!

I'm so glad to have discovered this author! I love her style of writing, and her words flow off the pages and ignite the imagination. A SCARLET WOMAN is a real page turner, and I have no doubt that lovers of Irish tales will adore this story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scarlet Woman.

May, 2017 – Started Reading