Annie's Reviews > Courtesan

Courtesan by Diane Haeger

May 24, 2017

liked it

To be clear, this is a work of fiction, a romance novel based on a real person, rather than an historical novel. Big Difference. Don't read this one for the history. Diane de Poitiers existed, and she was the mistress of the King of France. Some of the events from her life are represented in the book, and some are fabricated. Diane Haeger has done her research, and the book rings true-ish for the most part.

It's the story of the widow Diane, who is called to the court of Francis I, presumably to become a conquest of the king's. (view spoiler)

All in all, it's an entertaining read, but reaches pretty far over historical record to bring the drama. I suppose if you didn't know anything about Diane de Poitiers before reading this novel, you might find it more interesting. I just became bored. Diane comes across as more a victim, a woman to whom things happen, rather than who she really seems to have been - an educated, strong woman who was not afraid to fight for what was hers and go after what she wanted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courtesan.

May 14, 2017 – Started Reading