CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨'s Reviews > Jade City

Jade City by Fonda Lee

My full review can be found at my blog, The Quiet Pond.

I think Jade City is, objectively, one of the best books I've read - EVER.
I know that's a very bold claim, but I'm serious: I am in AWE of this book and Lee's incredible skill and vision as a writer.

- Jade City can be described as a perfect merging of Hong Kong gangster drama with wuxia.
- It's an amazing story has everything from gripping fights between powerful warriors that draw power from bioenergetic jade, or Green Bones, to the politics of war and family, to the tender moments of love, dedication, and loss.
- Jade City is not only ambitious: it's a masterpiece. The plot was brilliant, the characters were fascinating and realised individuals, the world-building was INCREDIBLE -- everything was sublime.
- Jade gives its user immense power. Not only is jade a fascinating and core element of the story, jade is also inherently tied to the clan, politics, culture, race, and economy. And it's done AMAZINGLY.
- What makes this book stand out among other books is the way Lee has crafted her world - it's rich with history, religion, theology, politics, and cultural values and practices that echo Chinese culture but still remain unique and fresh.
- The themes of Jade City were also engaging and provocative. It explores duty to family, honour, how jade is irrevocably tied to family, power, one's destiny, individuals in wartime and peace, and also identity.

Honestly? AN AMAZING BOOK. My favourite book of all time.

Trigger/content warning: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jade City.

May 24, 2017 – Shelved
December 30, 2017 – Started Reading
February 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I SO agree with your claim. One of the best books I've ever read too <3

CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨ Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ wrote: "I SO agree with your claim. One of the best books I've ever read too <3"

YES YES YES. This book seriously needs more hype, I love it so much. <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ CW (Read Think Ponder) wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ wrote: "I SO agree with your claim. One of the best books I've ever read too

YES YES YES. This book seriously needs more hype, I love it so much. <3"

YES I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!!! I swear there were SO MANY moments I couldn't breathe, ahhhh.

I saw that you read & loved her YA series as well?? I need to get to it ASAP.