Chachic's Reviews > Something like Normal

Something like Normal by Trish Doller

Originally posted here.

Trish Doller's debut novel, Something Like Normal, is one of my most anticipated releases this year. I read the excerpt and immediately wanted to read the book, I probably would have if it was already available at that time. I've also chatted with Trish on Twitter and I keep liking and reblogging her Tumblr posts. I was really excited when I finally got my hands on a copy of her book and I read it as soon as I could.

I love reading older YA or new adult novels and I believe Something Like Normal falls under these categories. Sure, Travis is just 19 but I think being a Marine makes him a more mature character. He's seen and experienced the atrocities of war and is suffering from the loss of his best friend, Charlie. Now I've never been a teenage boy so I don't exactly know how they think. But I do have guy friends and I feel like Travis has a realistic voice for a guy. He's far from being perfect and he makes stupid mistakes throughout the course of the novel but I believe he's a decent guy who genuinely wants to get his act together. It's just that he's messed up from everything that he's been through - failing his father's unreasonable expectations, signing up to be in the military to escape and heading off straight to serve in an unfamiliar country. Also, I know next to nothing about Marines but I found Travis' experiences intriguing.

Trish Doller's debut is something that I wholeheartedly recommend to everyone, even those who don't usually read contemporary YA because I feel like it has crossover appeal for many readers. It's refreshing in the sense that it doesn't focus on a high school setting, isn't just about the romance and is the first novel that I've read with a teen main character in the military. Something Like Normal is very easy to fall into. It's the kind of novel that you read within one day because you can't get enough of Travis and his complicated relationships - his issues with his dad and his brother, how he tries to be a better son to his overly supportive mother, how he interacts with his Marine buddies and how he gets to know the girl he's always had a crush on. While I don't think the romance is the main focus of the novel, there was plenty of swoon that kept me more than satisfied. I like that Travis and Harper have a history that dates back to middle school. Harper is just the person Travis needs in his life - she's smart, fun to be with and knows exactly how to handle him. Here's a spoiler-free snippet from early on:

“Do you need help?” a female voice from behind asks.

I’m about to throw an offended no over my shoulder when Harper comes up alongside me, all green eyes and tousled hair. I could probably look at her forever and not get tired of that face. “If I say yes will you think less of me?”

She shrugs, but I can see a smile at the corner of her mouth. “I already do think less of you.”

Doesn't that make you curious? Like I said, I love Trish's Tumblr so I thought it would be fitting to include some of the images that she's posted in this review. These images actually remind of Travis and Harper. :)

Something Like Normal will be released June 19, 2012 and I know this review is ridiculously early but I couldn't help but spread the word about this novel. I have a feeling a lot of readers will fall in love with Travis' story. Can't wait to see what Trish writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something like Normal.

August 21, 2011 – Shelved
March 4, 2012 – Started Reading
March 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Doller Thanks for adding my book!

Chachic Hi Trish, I look forward to reading it! Added it to my wishlist because Carla has been raving about it on Twitter. I'm always up for good contemporary YA reads. :)

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Great review, Chachic!
I'm desperate to read this one! :-D

Chachic Jo, I'm desperate for you to read this one! Would love to know what you think. Are you on NetGalley? Because you can request it over there if you are. :)

Reynje Lovely review Chachic, I'm looking forward to reading SNL. Love Trish's tumblr too :)

Chachic Rey, love so many of the posts in Trish's Tumblr! I keep clicking like and reblog. :P Looking forward to hearing what you think of SLN.

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I am on NG but I'm on a NG ban (I have too many books I've bought and not read yet! :-p) but I'm positive I'll get round to it soon :-D

Chachic LOL I have too many books on the TBR pile as well! But Jo, we have March birthdays so it's perfectly reasonable to buy lots of books this month. :P