Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > By Your Side

By Your Side by Kasie West

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2017, unhauled

2.5 Stars

I'm not a huge fan of YA contemporary anymore-- i've found lately that I feel like i'm reading the same book over and over-- but i'm reading a really dark book at the moment and needed something light as a reprieve from it. I'd gotten this in a book box a couple of months back and decided now was the perfect time to try it out!

The premise really intrigued me and I knew it would go by quickly, so I dove into this. I was right, I finished it in two days. What I wasn't expecting is it had a main character with anxiety! I had no idea about that going into this and it was a great bonus. I liked that element of the story, even though some parts were ehhh and I didn't really like the subplot about how she was afraid to tell her friends about it.

However, it just slapped me in the face with how mediocre this book was. From the "bad guy meets good girl" trope to the cheesy dialogue, I had to take this entire story with a grain of salt. There was nothing new or never done before, some of the technical aspects of this story didn't make sense, and the relationship between the two characters wasn't cute or awe-inspiring enough to let me overlook those things.

I think it's important to note that this book is honestly just a 3-star, average book for me, not horrible but not great, just something light to read to lighten my mood. It did do that, but I knocked a half a star just because of the added skepticism I had about the realisticness of the events that unfolded, as well as some uncharacteristic and eye roll-worthy moments of dialogue and inner monologue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Your Side.

May 23, 2017 – Started Reading
May 24, 2017 – Shelved
May 24, 2017 –
page 96
27.75% "I picked this up because ayyy it's summer, let's do some light reading! for the past year i've felt very meh about YA contemporary but for some reason i was driven to pick up something lighthearted and this fit the bill! It's a bit cliché so far and the storyline and characters are nothing special, but it is pretty cute and I wasn't expecting this to have a MC with anxiety!! so that's cool."
May 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 24, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: unhauled

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Desiree I feel the same way. The whole premise was so silly and unrealistic that it kept taking me out of the story. I'm sorry, but if there was no way to get out of the library (which in and of itself was stretching the bounds of believability...there's no phone? No security system? No one passing by on the road that they can flag down? Okay🙄)and I have anxiety, I'm breaking a damn window. And while I did appreciate that she had anxiety, I also hated how it was used as a plot device in this book solely to further the plot.