Peggy's Reviews > The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

F 50x66
Aug 21, 2011

Read from October 09 to 17, 2011

Who wants to read a book about cancer? Almost everybody, once they start this "biography." The author brings undertanding to subject - the history and treatment of a disease that is among one of the most feared known to man - that is both entertaining and informative. Mukherjee does not sugar coat the impact of studies and treatments and "cures" for cancer. He delves deeply into the successes and failures of science and medicine in regard to this cancer. The final chapter of the book updates the reader on the most current findings about cancer. It is mind numbing to learn that each and every individual carries the genetic mutations necessary for the genesis of cancer. While cancer might be triggered by outside influences - pollution, diet, smoking, etc. - the reality is that cancer lies within us. Any possible cures for the future depend on scientists and doctors continued knowledge of how the human genome works. What an amazing and challenging life force we are. Within each of us are miracles still to be discovered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor of All Maladies.