Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**'s Reviews > Out in the Open

Out in the Open by A.J. Truman

***4 Stars***

Read this bad boy in one sitting!

Told entirely from Ethan's POV, we get the story of a college sophomore figuring everything out. Young Ethan is stuck in his head too much. He blends in so much that he's become virtually invisible. A great conversationalist in his mind, but somehow there's a barrier between his brain and his mouth.

All that changes when he meets Greg in one of his law classes. Greg is a sexy, carefree, frat boy with a smirk that makes Ethan dizzy with lust (and also kinda makes him want to strangle Greg - but only a little bit).

An uncharacteristically bold move by Ethan one day starts the ball rolling on their lust-filled sexapade in every nook and cranny on campus. It was daring. It was exciting. It was HOT.

Ethan's eyes went wide, like he was seeing a national monument up close. It was long and thick and in charge. It didn't stand at attention; it gave the orders.

As enthralled as Ethan is by the excitement of sneaking around with Greg, he's starting to develop feelings and that begins to put a confusing haze on their relationship. Is that all he is to Greg? A dirty little secret. Is there a possibility that something more can grow from their quick and dirty romps?

This book really captured what it's like being in college and trying to figure things out. Balancing the different sides of yourself and meeting new people that push you to explore.

Not every college partier becomes an alcoholic. Not every sorority girl is a slut. Not every fraternity guy binge drinks all day and fucks around all night. You can have straight A's and party like a rock star.

It took Ethan a while through some trial and error to find his footing and to navigate through the different aspects of college life. And I was rooting for him the whole time.

I do wish we got Greg's POV because there were so many times that I wondered what he was thinking. It's clear that he was falling for Ethan, but the push and pull had me frustrated at times.

I understood the trepidation by both guys. Ethan was afraid of the rejection, afraid of how much he felt for Greg. Greg was afraid to come out. He was afraid of what it would mean to break out of the box people put him in.

A little bit of angst was thrown in at the end, but it was definitely time for things to come to a head. And although I understood Greg's fears, I was damn proud of Ethan for finally standing up for himself!

"You think what we were doing was like a fuck you to Browerton, but only you can hear it. Your dad can't hear it, your brothers can't hear it, Professor Sharpe can't hear it. If you want to shake things up with them, then do it already. Sneaking around isn't a fuck you to them; it's a fuck you to me!"

This is a book that will suck you in from the beginning. It'll remind you of those early days when you were still figuring things out. When everything was new and fun and exciting and scary.

I really enjoyed this debut novel and definitely plan on continuing on with this series and seeing what else this author has to offer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out in the Open.

May 23, 2017 – Shelved