Debbie's Reviews > Courageous

Courageous by Randy Alcorn

Aug 21, 2011

bookshelves: christian, fiction

"Courageous" is a Christian general fiction novel with a fair amount of action. It's a novel based on a movie by the same name, and it sometimes read like it (especially during the action scenes). However, it had more depth than I was expecting from a movie-turned-novel.

The main characters were varied, complex, and reacted realistically to the various struggles they faced. The details about police work, gangs, and families brought the story alive in my imagination. However, a couple of the police scenes did seem set up (unrealistic) in order to get a laugh. Suspense was built by relational tension as well as physical danger.

It was an interesting, entertaining novel. I'm not sure how inspired fathers will be by it (though I think most will be), but I do think men will enjoy the book. There's action, suspense, humor, and more.

Some Bible verses were quoted and were the basis for the characters' motivation to become better fathers. There was no bad language or sex scenes. Overall, I'd recommend this novel for itself and for it's message.

I received this book as a review copy from Tyndale House Publishers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courageous.