Brian D. Harvey's Reviews > A Glimpse of the Future

A Glimpse of the Future by Emiliya Ahmadova

5419309

Read 7 times

Although the author of this povest' is from Azerbaijan, at its core this tale (entitled "A Glimpse of the Future") betrays a fascination with spirituality and religion as an intricate aspect of the Slavic soul, with its focus often on the supernatural, the occult, and the paranormal. These genres often cross into Western notions of magic and fantasy, with deep roots in the English Gothic and the American Horror (as represented in the notable New England prose writer Edgar Allan Poe).

In these common thematics lie the relationship between the real and the "supernatural." In a forthcoming compilation by Emiliya Ahmadova of all her tales of the supernatural, entitled "Across the Darkness," there is a thread of what has been described by one scholar as "the powers of existence not under human control," including the "invisible forces" governing society in which time seems to become absolutely unhinged and utterly suspended.

There is a contemporary resonance of her themes and style, certainly in modern Russia with its own obsession with the paranormal in its contemporary media. As a student of Slavic languages and literatures, I have thoroughly enjoyed Emiliya Ahmadova's brilliant marriage of the thematics and stylistics cloaking her narratives. Every page is evocative and lingers with you as the reader as you reach the end of each tale. I highly recommend this particular tale, "A Glimpse of the Future," as educative of why we must understand the supernatural yet return to reality as we approach our destination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Glimpse of the Future.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
May 22, 2017 – Shelved
June 13, 2017 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
March 30, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)