Bishope's Reviews > Roots: The Saga of an American Family

Roots by Alex Haley

U 50x66
Aug 21, 2011

I listened to the 29-hour unabridged audiobook, read by Avery Brooks. It was my very first audiobook ever and I couldn't have chosen anything better. Mr. Brooks' commanding voice brought the words and story alive in a way that I cannot describe. It was far more vivid and vibrant than it would have been reading it myself. I will never give up reading, but I am a true audiobook convert from now on and look forward to another way in which it devour books and increase my reading. I have a mindless cubicle job in front of a computer (really not much more than advanced, complicated data entry, if you really want to get down to it), and my productivity has soared in the past few days that I've been listening to books. :)
[image error]

As for the story, it is one of the most inspiring and compelling I've ever heard. Masterfully written. My spirits soared with the characters' triumphs and my heart broke with the anguished sorrows and defeats. I've never been more interested in learning where the story will go next. And the historical value of the book is immeasurable. I probably learned more from this book than in any history class I've ever taken.

Granted, after completing the book I conducted some research as to the verity of the story presented and was slightly dismayed by the reports of plagiarism and fiction posing as fact. Although truthfully, it doesn't change the value of the story itself. It should be required reading for every American History class.

I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially the audiobook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roots.