Jess Scott's Reviews > The Ghost in the Crystal

The Ghost in the Crystal by Matt Posner

Aug 21, 2011

===A cool and nuanced YA book===

I've always been a fan of philosophy, ancient history, culture, and magic/the fantasy genre -- all of these elements were very well mixed in "The Ghost in the Crystal." I was pleasantly surprised to come across mentions of "Alexander the Great" (one of my favorite historical figures; more familiar with non-fiction, than fiction works that make a reference to the famous conqueror)!

What I really enjoyed and appreciated as a reader, was the historical accuracy of the traditions and cultural components mentioned in the book. I've rolled my eyes at TV shows before when such facts are inaccurate ["...it doesn't matter if you don't know that Kuala Lumpur is the capital of Indonesia" -- heard that one from an old episode of "The OC", LOL (KL is the capital of Malaysia)]...but Mr. Posner is certainly a lot more careful, educated, and discerning.

While aspects of the book reminded me of the Harry Potter series, I thought that setting the story in NYC was cool and refreshing. The writing style is concise too (I'm always thankful when an author doesn't take an unnecessary 100 pages to get from one plot point to another!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost in the Crystal.