Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > Geek Girl

Geek Girl by Holly Smale

bookshelves: contemporary, easy-read, lol, physically-owned-books, young-adult, unexpectedly-good

This is exactly what I needed after reading Second Chance Summer and Some Girls Are- a fun, hilarious coming off age story. I felt like I laughed from start to finish. Harriet’s story could be compared to the Ugly Duckling’s except when Harriet transforms, she still ends up being herself and I thought that was great. She’s a certified geek from start to end and I loved that about the story. Although Harriet transforms, it’s mostly inner transformation. In the end, she earns self-confidence and realizes she’s great just the way she is.

The plot may be a little bit unrealistic and some of the characters a bit stereotyped but they were all so fun to read and all of them managed to make me laugh. They’re all adorable and hilarious in their own ways. I don’t know but I find British humour really hilarious and relatable.

I would highly recommend this book if you’re looking for a good contemporary that’ll make you laugh and feel good about yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geek Girl.

May 21, 2017 – Shelved
May 21, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
Started Reading
May 22, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unexpectedly-good

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Darina Yayyy😀😁 soo happy you liked this book too
definetly a 👍 read

message 2: by Mathu (new) - added it

Mathu Definitely adding this book to my TBR:) Great review as usual,Aj<3

message 3: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy This sounds terrific! I love this review. <3

Books are TARDIS This book sounds great Aj. I love British humor too. British-isms always amuse me. We all definitely need our feel-good books every now-and-then (actually more now than then)

message 5: by Katerina (new) - added it

Katerina This book has been sitting in my TBR for a while, but now I think I will give it a push thanks to you, my dear friend! Great review, as always! <3

message 6: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Geekly good review, Aj :D

Aj the Ravenous Reader Darina: Yaay! I just passed it on to my niece. I’m sure she’ll enjoy it even more.

Mathu: Yay! I think you’ll enjoy this, sweetie. Thank you so much. <3

Ana: Haha. I knew you were going to love the title and cover. Thanks, Ana, the Cool Geek Girl. <3

Ate Holly: This one is, Ate. Thank you so much. <3

Fai: This is great, Fai. I couldn’t agree with you more. Thank you so much. <3

Katerina: Yaaay! Thank you so much, beautiful Kat. <3

Kuya Alejandro: Lol! Thank you so much, kuya!^^

Lola Oh I wanna read this one! I bought the whole series :D Harriet sounds like such an up-beat, clever girl! And modeling, cool!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Oh wow! You already have the whole series. I hope enjoy the first book as much as I did. I'll be relying on you on the sequels. hehe.

message 10: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey  keselo Already read, very good👌👌