David's Reviews > The Science of Fear: Why We Fear the Things We Shouldn't--and Put Ourselves in Greater Danger

The Science of Fear by Dan Gardner

Aug 21, 2011

bookshelves: anthropology, general-history, evolution, philosophy, political-science, psychology, science, sociology, non-fiction, neuroscience, biology, current-events, terrorism
Recommended to David by: The universe
Recommended for: A sentient beings
Read from August 21 to September 03, 2011 , read count: 1

This is one of the few books that I've given 5 stars to this year and it deserves every one of them. Gardner's analysis of fear and the motivators of fear (both collective and individual) are brilliant and how these connect to ~

1. Brain
2. Media
3. The many individuals and groups with an interest in stoking fear.

His contention is that we are luckier than any generation that has ever lived, and he goes a long, long way to proving this, and yet we are more afraid than ever before. The reasons for this are many and varied. Gardner does a wonderful job of clearly enunciating these and then analyzing them.

What made this book so interesting for me is that it cuts across political and theoretical boundaries to attempt to deal with fear and apocalyptic futurism in all its formats in a non-partisan and a mostly non-ideological manner.

This is a book for anyone interested in the story behind the story we find in the rhetoric of fear. It will be eye opening or it will confirm what you've already suspected of Governments, the Media, Business, NGOs, Activists, and Advocacy Groups.

There are no conspiracy theories here, in the sense most of us now understand them, but just human nature writ about as large as the first global civilization.

You may agree with Gardner or not...but I doubt you will end the book being unaffected by it.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Science of Fear.

08/21/2016 marked as: read