Rosamund's Reviews > Ghosts on the shore: Travels along Germany's Baltic Coast

Ghosts on the shore by Paul Scraton

bookshelves: travel, non-fiction, read-2018, history, berlin, ebook

I've met Paul personally a few times at literary events in Berlin, and he has published my work as part of his Elsewhere: A Journal of Place project, so I will try to be as unbiased as possible!

To be honest, I wasn't excited about discovering every single figure and place, but the fact that Paul writes and explores with unfailing, sincere attentiveness -- seeing potential in towns or areas that most would disregard -- is commendable, making many sections unputdownable.

As he concludes, the only real way to read a place is by keeping in mind what we already know, which will differ between individuals, of course. For him, it is the personal connection of his partner's childhood that allows him to uncover layers of German Baltic (ex-GDR) towns that get overlooked or even a bad rap these days, alongside his keen interest in local history. And doesn't that speak to the fact I was interested in some chapters more than others? It got me thinking about the course of my own life that has made me curious about certain moments in history.

Inspiring words that will certainly change the way I travel! I need to get up to that part of the country now.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts on the shore.

May 21, 2017 – Shelved