Kaila's Reviews > The Path of Daggers

The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

Aug 20, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, 2012, fantasy-aficionados-challenge-2012, so-fucking-epic

So far this is my least favorite Wheel of Time book. Not only does not very much happen, but even the climax, up until this point always a high, is pretty shrug worthy. All of the important stuff that happens during the climax isn't ACTUALLY revealed to us right away, such as the identities of the perpetrators. That makes it pretty hard to care about what's happening.

The slog of character names is becoming quite the burden. I now have to constantly reference the Wheel of Time wiki and I am always terrified of going there, because they give information for characters up through book 13, Towers of Midnight. I've definitely had an unwary eye a few times and saw something I didn't want to. Still, though, at this point I would be having a hard time getting on without the wiki - there are just SO MANY people. Half of the time, I've forgotten whether we know they are a darkfriend or not, it's so hard to keep track of what is happening.

Blood and ashes, the seafolk women in this book are so groan worthy.

And even with all those characters, my favorite character managed to be on hiatus for this novel. We left Mat with quite the cliffhanger in A Crown of Swords, and we don't even get to know if he's still alive! He is completely absent. That makes me sad.

Don't get me wrong, I still was completely unable to put it down. I ended up bingeing on the last 50% of the novel and read it all in one day. I felt dizzy after putting it down I was reading so fast. Even though I have less enthusiasm for this installation, I just love the characters and the world SO DAMN MUCH. I'm trying to keep some momentum so I can get through book 10 (widely regarded as the worst book in the series) and read New Spring, which will be completely new territory for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Path of Daggers.

August 20, 2011 – Shelved
September 15, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 23, 2012 – Started Reading
July 24, 2012 –
20.0% "20 percent in and so far the extent of events is: "Dark bad. Braid good. Women bitchy. Men bitchy.""
July 26, 2012 –
July 31, 2012 –
July 31, 2012 –
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy-aficionados-challenge-2012
July 31, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 14, 2013 – Shelved as: so-fucking-epic
November 20, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)

Adam I couldn't agree more!