Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > Highland Spitfire

Highland Spitfire by Mary Wine

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars, library-love

Highland Spitfire is book one in the Highland Weddings series by Mary Wine.

I don’t usually go for Historical Romances. My main issue is the way women are used or treated back then. They where used to secure alliance, peace, etc.. It’s hard for me to believe in the romance. As for Highland Spitfire, well I picked this up; because the cover is eye catching and the blurb made it sound intrigue, so I thought lets give it a go.

This one is enemies to lovers. The hero and heroine are forced to wed in order to secure peace; between the Robertson and MacPherson clans. The way this story starts guarantees a hostile situation; between our couple and their clans.

I have to admire Ailis courage to agree to wed her enemy and to see that this is what both clans need. I liked her. She had many challenges to over come. One is being forced into her enemy’s territory and having everyone look at her with suspicion and misgivings.

As for Bhaic he is the embodiment of a sexy Highlander. I found his discerption to my liking, but he lacked empathy towards his new wife, Ailis. He doesn't help her out, doesn't easy her transition nor does he make her feel at home. He literally lets his brother, Marcus, take over her care and well he humiliates her, treats her like a spy, and disregards her feelings. It was hard to read and I wanted to kick both men.

I really liked the introduction to Helen, the friend that Ailis makes. They are both hostages in enemy territory, so they have things in common and they help each other out. Helen has spunk and I can’t wait to read her story. Some of the other secondary characters where nice to meet too.

As I pointed out at the beginning of my review; it's hard for me to fall for the romance in historical's. As for the romance between Ailis and Bhaic it was ok. It didn’t roll off the pages. It felt forced at times and their interactions where hot and cold. They would be arguing and then they’d have a warm moment where you think things are turning around, but then the next moment they are back to arguing. Eh!

All around I did have a delightful time reading Highland Spitfire. I didn’t hate nor love it, but I still enjoyed it and I’m actually curious to read on in the Highland Weddings series.

Rated: 3 Stars

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Spitfire.

May 20, 2017 – Shelved
page 148
July 31, 2018 – Shelved as: 3-stars
July 31, 2018 – Shelved as: library-love
July 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Great review!!

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Great review!!"

Thank's!