Kazza's Reviews > Becoming Kerry

Becoming Kerry by Lynn Kelling

bookshelves: sexy-romance, psychological, contemporary, arc, emotional, trans, third-gender-nb-gq

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

As people, we tend to look to fit somewhere. In our family, our peer group, within the local and wider community. When you don't fit society's constructed gender and sexuality box it's not easy. When things that should be no big deal make you hyperaware - who you date, simply leaving your house, buying things that people think you shouldn't be, wearing makeup and clothes and shoes that don't fit your perceived gender, it's certainly not easy. It takes a great deal of bravery to live your life on your terms at the best of times, it's harder when you break the mould set for you by others. It shouldn't be this way but for any number of people it is. That's the backdrop of Becoming Kerry. There is also a romance, a love story, two very likeable to lovable MCs, and a definite intensity to the characters and their story.

This book is also very much a romance, a love story, between two wonderful MCs with a definite intensity to their characters and their story. They are two lost souls (particularly Kerry), who have been hurt and are scarred/worried, who find one another. All while Kerry finds a comfortable place in the world and Ewyn supports him/her and finds his own healing and purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Kerry.

May 20, 2017 – Shelved
May 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 5, 2017 – Started Reading
July 7, 2017 –
7.0% "he was sweaty, sore, and out of energy. Dancing for hours-on-end, in heels, was a lot more draining than doing a few shows a night, plus lap-dances in the crowd."
July 7, 2017 –
7.0% "The guy was big, built, and badass. He looked to be a few years older than Kerry, with thick, black plugs in both earlobes and a thin silver nose ring. He had short, sandy colored hair, a short beard, intelligent dark brown eyes and a ruggedly handsome face. Basically, he was hot as hell."
July 7, 2017 –
8.0% "Maybe Ewyn had just been doing the same with Kerry — trying to be friendly to someone looking a little rattled. He paused to think it over, then finished pulling his kilt around his waist so he could pin it. “But does he ever, like, flirt with anyone, or…”
The dancer laughed. “Dude’s totally straight, man. If you’ve got a crush, you best give it up now.”"
July 7, 2017 –
9.0% "“Vulnerable people tend to attract predators,” Ewyn explained quietly. “I’ve had… friends… get hurt that way. I don’t intend for it to happen again, especially on my watch.” It sounded sincere, and like there were painful memories behind the sentiment."
July 7, 2017 –
10.0% "His heart pounded away. He had so many questions.
Do I apologize?
Do I run?
What am I doing?

Ewyn’s thumb stroked Kerry’s lower lip. Closing his eyes, Kerry felt the rise and fall of his chest, the press of those fingers, the heat of Ewyn’s larger, broader body shielding him from the night, trapping him against the car."
July 7, 2017 –
11.0% "“I like that you don’t usually kiss guys. I know the feeling. You want me to back off?”
“No,” Kerry answered quietly."
July 7, 2017 –
13.0% "(...)"Never seen someone with eyes that color before. I saw you dance tonight. You stood out. Stood out to me, at least. I was glad I had a chance to introduce myself. The ways you move?” The fingers followed his shaft, stroking down it, then back up. He was achingly stiff. “How hard your dick is right now?” He leaned in so close, his lips brushed against Kerry’s ear. “Let me make sure you get home okay.”"
July 7, 2017 –
13.0% "“I shouldn’t. I don’t even know who you are,” Kerry said, trying to fight for sense. Strangely, Ewyn seemed pleased with the rejection."
July 7, 2017 –
13.0% "“Okay. I’ll let the offer stand. If you’re dancing again tomorrow, I’ll be here. I’m happy to make sure you get home safe. I’ll let it be your call.” Amazingly, Ewyn stepped back. “Have a good night, Kerry. Get some rest.”"
July 8, 2017 –
19.0% "But Darcy had been a beautiful spirit, the light of Ewyn’s life, and now he was gone forever because of a stranger’s blind hatred for someone they didn’t even know."
July 8, 2017 –
19.0% "He knew sometimes his worry wasn’t warranted, and that he tended to take on too much blame when things beyond his control went wrong, but he also knew it was bad Kerry reminded him of Darcy."
July 8, 2017 –
19.0% "It was clear Ewyn had been given a choice. Kerry had been placed in his path. There had to be a reason. It was his chance, perhaps, to right a wrong, to safeguard someone in danger and be there as he hadn’t been able to for his brother."
July 8, 2017 –
19.0% "In some ways, Ewyn was too late. He didn’t know why, or what had happened, but he knew. Someone Kerry trusted had scarred him, badly."
July 8, 2017 –
20.0% "Kerry had the makings of an exquisite lover. Ewyn felt the yearning in him for simple tenderness and honest praise. There was a void in Kerry, starved for attention, and it had hypnotized Ewyn, drawing him in. Even if it took everything he had and more, it would be worth it to see Kerry smile."
July 8, 2017 –
20.0% "In a couple hours, Kerry would be nearly naked again, oiled and writhing under lights for a roomful of horny, drunk strangers. The thought of that drove Ewyn mad. Yet, he knew he had no right to object to Kerry’s chosen profession."
July 8, 2017 –
20.0% ""But something you need to know about me, Ewyn, is that just because instinct tells me I’m wrong, doesn’t mean I’m going to let it stop me. Honesty is important to me, so I’m just letting you know. There’s a lot that scares me — you, me, what we did, what I still want to do, what I think we might do once we’re alone again — it’s an endless list.”"
July 8, 2017 –
20.0% "They ended the call. Ewyn stared at the phone, trying not to get ahead of himself, to over-plan, over-anticipate, but all he could think of, all he wanted, was Kerry."
July 9, 2017 –
65.0% "There was no judgment in her. She didn’t bat an eye at his dresses or makeup. She hadn’t pried about the candle that always sat on the windowsill. She’d listened to Kerry vent about his decision not to tell Jamie about the attack, giving her input only after Kerry asked for it."
July 9, 2017 –
67.0% "He smiled over at her. “You really are amazing. No one’s ever said anything like that to me before. Like they just believed in me completely, for no reason at all.”
“I have plenty of reasons. The best ones. I see your heart, Kerry Sanderson. It’s a good one.”"
July 9, 2017 –
67.0% "That was another thing he shared with Kerry. They knew loss. They saw how it magnified what was important and allowed everything else to drop back."
July 9, 2017 –
70.0% "The sensual swiveling started small, hesitant, but the more Ewyn’s cock slid in the snug glove of Kerry’s ass, the more Kerry let go."
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: sexy-romance