Mary's Reviews > The Glass Rainbow

The Glass Rainbow by James Lee Burke

1620680
Aug 20, 2011

I started the Dave Robicheaux series by reading Pegasus Descending then Tin Roof Blowdown and Swan Peak. I grew to love all of the characters, the description of the beautiful Louisiana settings and of course Burke's writing. So I decided to go back to the first book and work my way through the entire series. I made it through from Neon Rain to the 9th book Cadillac Jukebox. I couldn't stand waiting so I jumped ahead and read The Glass Rainbow.

This book was the best of the entire series that I have read so far. Burke's writing is poetry in novel form. I have listened to most of the books on audible and I feel like I'm on a trip to Louisiana in each one. I can picture the places described in the books as if I have been there.

Dave Robicheaux and Clete Purcel are some of the best characters I have ever encountered ... they balance each other out perfectly. And, there has been great character development as the series progressed. The ending in this book is a true masterpiece. I'm sure that this will be considered an American Literature Masterpiece or Classic someday.

Now, I'm glad that I still have five more of the Dave Robicheaux books to go back to and finish the series. Thank you James Lee Burke for your creative efforts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Rainbow.

Started Reading